ALL ABOARD FOR “DISNEY’S A CHRISTMAS CAROL” TRAIN TOUR
Florida East Coast Railroad Co./ (Miami Automobile Facility)
3200 NW 67th Ave.
Jacksonville Amtrak Station
3570 Clifford Lane
This summer, visitors of all ages from cities coast to coast will experience for free the magic behind “Disney’s A Christmas Carol” in this once-in-a-lifetime attraction. “Disney’s A Christmas Carol” is a thrilling, multi-sensory movie directed by Robert Zemeckis that takes the classic Dickens tale to the big screen like never before. The movie opens nationwide November 6, 2009.
ABOUT THE TOUR
· 16,000 MILES – “Disney’s A Christmas Carol” Train Tour, sponsored by Hewlett Packard and Driven by Amtrak, kicks off Memorial Day Weekend 2009 at Union Station in Los Angeles, traveling across the country with stops in 40 cities big and small along the route, culminating in November at New York City’s Grand Central Terminal. Traveling more than 16,000 miles, the train will pass through 36 states, hitting cities like Chicago, Ill., Albuquerque, N.M., Portland, Ore., Fargo, N.D., Sacramento, Calif., Houston, Texas, Kansas City, Mo., Louisville, Ky., Jacksonville, Fla., Philadelphia, Pa., Albany, N.Y., and Charleston, S.C. (A complete list can be found at www.christmascaroltraintour.com).
· SNEAK PEEK -- Visitors will be the first to see an exclusive sneak peek of “Disney’s A Christmas Carol” in Disney Digital 3D inside a state-of-the-art 48-foot-wide, 3D theatre—the first inflatable 3D theatre ever to go across the country—which will be erected onsite in each city. Dolby Laboratories is supplying its Dolby® 3D Digital Cinema solution for the traveling Digital 3D theater and Barco is providing the DP2000 digital projectors.
· WINTER WONDERLAND -- Snow will “fall” in each of the 40 cities throughout this summertime event. The winter wonderland will be complete with holiday décor and Christmas carolers.
· BEHIND THE SCENES -- Visitors will be treated to a behind-the-scenes look at the magic, the spectacle and the cutting-edge technology of “Disney’s A Christmas Carol.” Four train cars will showcase immersive and interactive experiences, including:
A first glimpse at the character development and character design of “Disney’s A Christmas Carol”
Artifacts from the Charles Dickens Museum in London, England, including a first edition of “A Christmas Carol,” a portrait of Charles Dickens, his original writing tools and original letters written by Charles Dickens from his visits to the United States
An inside look at the cutting-edge performance capture technique used to create the film
Interactive kiosks where guests can explore Dicken’s London and morph their face into characters from the movie using HP TouchSmart PCs, and guests will receive an email with links to download their face morph images for free exclusively from Walmart.com Photo.
· FREE FOR YOU AND ME -- This family event is fun for guests of all ages – and totally FREE!
· HOMETOWN MOVIE SURFERS SWEEPSTAKES - At every tour stop, Radio Disney will invite kids to enter for a chance to become a Movie Surfer representing their hometown. Each Hometown Movie Surfer will get a chance to appear on Disney Channel by filming their very own Movie Surfer’s segment! They’ll also receive a prize package of exclusive Movie Surfer and "Disney’s A Christmas Carol” gear.
· BOYS & GIRLS CLUB – To launch the event, Disney will present a check for $100,000 to Boys and Girls Club of America. Additionally, Boys and Girls Club kids from each city will take part in special activities.
· LOCAL TALENT -- Disney will hire locally in every stop to support the tour, fulfilling positions such as guest control, carolers and docents.
· A LITTLE HELP FROM OUR FRIENDS -- HP is the title sponsor and will be giving guests the chance to interact with the new HP TouchSmart PCs. Hundreds of the PCs will be used throughout the tour, and local ABC television stations will run promotions giving away an HP TouchSmart computer and an HP Photosmart wireless printer along the tour route. The train will be driven by AMTRAK which will coordinate the route and access to the rails. The engines are AMTRAK P42 Diesels. Dolby Laboratories is supplying its Dolby® 3D Digital Cinema solution for the traveling Digital 3D theater, and Barco is providing the DP2000 digital projectors. Panasonic provides the latest high resolution large screen technology available to consumers today. And, the Department of Transportation’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is encouraging guests travelling to and from the train to Buckle Up, Every Trip, Every Time!
ABOUT THE MOVIE
DISNEY’S A CHRISTMAS CAROL, a multi-sensory thrill ride re-envisioned by Academy Award®-winning filmmaker Robert Zemeckis, captures the fantastical essence of the classic Dickens tale in a groundbreaking 3D motion picture event. Ebenezer Scrooge (JIM CARREY) begins the Christmas holiday with his usual miserly contempt, barking at his faithful clerk (GARY OLDMAN) and his cheery nephew (COLIN FIRTH). But when the ghosts of Christmas Past, Present and Yet to Come take him on an eye-opening journey revealing truths Old Scrooge is reluctant to face, he must open his heart to undo years of ill will before it’s too late. The movie opens nationwide November 6, 2009.